Isatis tinctoria, guède, Waid, isatide, glaisin
Although I had to use half my harvest of woad seeds (40g is a lot of seeds), I still have plenty to sow for next season’s leaf harvest, with some of the previous season’s self-sown plants to provide the next lot of seeds. I didn’t get around to harvesting any leaves this summer, but doggie seems to like using them as an outdoor bed. She’s quite good at nudging out the stakes and bailer twine barriers that were supposed to keep her and the birds off.
Back to the seeds in question. I simmered them for about 45 minutes, strained the liquor and added the yarn for another 45 minutes’ simmering. The mordants and modifiers all produced greener shades, with only the unmordanted/unmodified yarn giving a pinky-brown.
Looking at the three on the right, my mind’s going back to episodes of Outlander, although if I do get around to weaving a plaid, I might forgo the waulking with a bucket of wee (says he who pokes his bare hand into the compost heap to see how it’s doing).
I am trying stuff, steep and store on these. So far my silk thread looks really purple!
Id be interested in seeing the finished result! Last year I didn’t harvest the leaves, so now have a bucket-load of seeds. Some are very pale, but Ill give them a go and see what I end up with.